Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Steph Reads - IT By Stephen King (No Spoilers)

This book is hard to review because there are some things I really like and some things I really didn't. I will list the pros and cons below and then say who I would recommend this to and who I would not.

PROS: 
A very interesting premise - I think one of the reasons why this story still holds up is because of the story of a scary monster that preys on children and the idea of children being able to overcome their fears and defeat it.

The Losers Club - Very Interesting main characters which you get to know and care about. there was on e complaint which I will get into below.

IT -  The creature IT within its self is very interesting and to me was the highlight of this book as well as both movies

The ending - I wont get into spoilers, but if you are at least familiar with the 90s mini series you will know the ending was not that good. The book gives a more in depth finale which is more satisfying.

CONS

The dialogue - When I first saw the 90s mini series I thought that the goofy unfunny dialogue was just from the show, boy was I wrong. A lot of the dialogue is verbatim from the book and man it is cringey. It works a little when they are in the 50s, but it is unbearable when they are adults in the 80s.

Richie - I don't think he said a single funny thing in the whole story. Seth Green from the 90s mini series and Finn Wolfhard in the new movie were terrific, but in the book he is almost doing some annoying voice and it gets old fast.

 The origin of IT and the Space Turtle - I wont get into spoilers, but this came off as really bizarre and out of left field. It may just be a personal preference, but IT being a creature that settled into Derry hundred of years ago and feeds every 27 years would have sufficed.

I have other small pros and cons, but that pretty much sums up my overall synopsis. I would recommend this to people who really loved either or both movies and want to know the full story. I would also recommend it to Stephen King buffs who in particular are interested in dark characters who do very disturbing things. (Seriously some of things Henry and Patrick did were difficult to digest). I would not recommend it to people who have just a mild interest in the story or movies. this is a LONG book to read and King as usual does not skimp on detail.

I have read few of other of King's works, but I am in no way an expert on his work. Honestly I wanted to enjoy this book more than I did. I enjoyed many aspects of it over all, but not nearly as 
much as I enjoyed as Misery or Thinner (which he published under his pseudonym Richard Bachman).

Overall Review
: 7 out of 10
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment